Isn’t she cute? It’s so simple: a t-shirt and two bandanas, and you’ve got a brand-new outfit for your little girl! This is a fun sewing tutorial and you’ll be hooked on making these for your toddler. There’s a lot of room for her to grow in a dress like this!
- 1 storebought tee
- 2 bandannas (same or different!)
- Sewing machine, scissors, ruler, and chalk pencil or sewing marker
How to make a Bandana Dress
- Measure the width of the bottom of the tee.
Now, use this formula: Multiply the width by 2 and add 1.5".
For my tee, I took 12.75 x 2 = 25.5. Add 1.5 = 27".
- Now, fold your bandana in half to make a triangle, and fold in half again.
- Take your number from step 1 and divide by 6.28 (this is pi times 2, for those playing along at home.)
For me this means 27 / 6.28 = 4.29" (I used 4.25")
- Place one end of your ruler on the corner of the bandana, and mark along the bandanas at the mark you found in step 3 – for me, that’s 4.25". Make sure and make several marks, then join a line with a chalk pencil.
- Cut along the line you made. Unfold, and you’ll have a perfect circle cut in the middle of your bandana.
- Repeat step 4 & 5 on your second bandanas.
- Now, lay one bandana on top of the other, and offset so you can see all eight points. Pin together.
- On your sewing machine, use a large stitch to baste your bandanas together (about 1/4") .
- Slip your tee in the opening you’ve made.
- This part may seem a little tricky! You don’t want to join the edge of the bandanas with the very bottom of the tee: bring it up an inch, so you don’t see the hemmed seam of the tee.
Make sure right sides are together, and pin tee to bandanas.
I do this by folding the bandana in half, as well as the tee, and pin. Fold that half in half and pin together. Keep doing this until you’ve got about 8-12 pins in.
- Now, sew it together. Tip: Your tee is smaller than your bandana cutout, so just make sure you stretch your tee as you sew.
- Unfold your dress, and you’re done!
With the leftover fabric from the bandana holes, you can embellish your dress: Cut out a heart and use iron on fusing like Stick ‘N Hold or Wonder-Under – or, make a handmade flower! It’s all up to you!